|Matching the earthy nuttiness of our organic quinoa with the mellow but distinctive flavour of roasted cauliflower, this aromatic salad in a jar from The Cook and Him makes a perfect packed lunch and can be made up the day before.
- 1 Small Cauliflower
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Mixed Herbs
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ cup Hodmedod's Organic Wholegrain Quinoa
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 4 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Basil, shredded
- Handful Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ½ Red Pepper, diced
- Small handful Shelled Pistachio Nuts, very rougly chopped
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Heat the oven to 220 C (200 C for fan ovens) / 425 F / Gas 7 and line a medium roasting tray or dish with greaseproof paper or a silicon mat
- Cut the florets off cauliflower stalk and break into small bite sized pieces. Put into a bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle in the garlic powder, dried mixed herbs, cumin, paprika, turmeric and some salt and pepper. Toss it all well together to coat the cauliflower.
- Tip the seasoned cauliflower florets onto the baking tray and roast for 15-20 minutes until the florets are golden and just cooked but not too soft. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the quinoa while the cauliflower is roasting - put the quinoa and vegetable stock in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes till all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Leave the quinoa to cool once cooked, then stir in the grated lemon zest, shredded basil and sliced spring onions. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste
- You can then start layering your jars - I started with a few spoons of quinoa followed by some halved cherry tomatoes, then the roasted cauliflower, some crumbled feta cheese, chopped pistachios and finally some diced red pepper.
- Layer it all up then pop in the fridge ready to grab and go the next day.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.