Buy Abra Berens' superb new book Grist and we'll throw in a free £5 gift voucher.
Grist features over 300 approachable and flavoursome recipes and variations for over 30 different grains, seeds and pulses. It's also a comprehensive reference book on sourcing, storing, cooking, eating and enjoying beans and grains of all kinds.
Grist is packed with deep, authoritative and wide-ranging information and recipes for many different grains, legumes, and seeds:
- Beans - fava, lima, soy, common
- Peas - whole and split field, black-eyed, cow, crowder
- Wheat family - common, kamut, kernza, rye, spelt, bulgur, farro, freekeh
- Grains - barley, buckwheat, corn, oats
- Rice - basmati, jasmine, risotto, wild
- Tiny seed grains - amaranth, quinoa, fonio, millet, sorghum, teff
Organized by type of grain/legume/seed, each chapter offers authoritative info and tips that home cooks can use to deepen their knowledge of ingredients and broaden their repertoire of techniques. The recipes are simple, mostly quick to prepare, and use ingredients that are easy to find or often already in home pantries.
- Yemeni foul with fried bread and harissa
- Pea salad with cucumbers, tomato, herbs and anchovy vinaigrette
- Garlic-smashed chickpeas
- Seared aubergine and cherry tomatoes with fried lentils and tahini dressing
- Pea breakfast fritters with fried egg, greens and smoked yoghurt
- Roasted parsnips and endive with mornay sauce and barley
- Flaky rye and three cheese galette with asapargus salad
Or explore almost unlimited possibilities:
- How to build a myriad of fresh bean salads
- A week's worth of lentils without any boredom
- How to build a hearty split pea salad
- A week's worth of barley without any boredom
- Any grain fritter base recipe
- Matrix of farro salads