Our Great British split dried fava beans are very easy to cook. They become very soft when cooked and are ideal for thickening soups or stews, as the basis for a dip like hummus or bessara, or for making felafel or adding to vegetable roasts.
- Soaking the beans overnight speeds up the cooking process but isn’t essential
- The first stage of cooking is to boil the beans for around 10 minutes
- If the beans haven’t been soaked it’s a good idea to drain after boiling to remove some of the starch
- At this stage the beans can be frozen in small quantities for later use (they’ll freeze for up to a year)
- The beans can then be added to any recipe and need about 30 minutes simmering or roasting to become very soft
See our recipe collection for lots of ideas.
If you’ve cooked something delicious with our beans why not submit your recipe and we’ll add it to our collection?